Two catering students from University of West London wowed the judges with their skills at the 2018 British Poultry Student Chef of the Year cook-off. The winners will go on to cook their dishes to approx. 280 guests at the British Poultry Awards later in the year.
Bayan Zuraiki, 17, won the Starter Course of the competition. She impressed the judging panel with her exotic starter of ‘Shredded Turkey Breast with Spices Served with a Parsley and Bulgar Wheat Tabbouleh’. Kieran Pigott, 17, picked up first prize for the Main Courses with his exceptional ‘Turkey Breast with Fig and Port served with Arancini, Squash, Basil and a Jus’. The judging panel were blown away by the standard of entries across the board.
Runners up included Catherine Worley of North Hertfordshire in the Starter Course and Chloe Lloyd-Hughes of North Warwickshire and Hinckley College for the Main Course.
The competition, organised by the British Poultry Council, challenged students from catering colleges all over the country to develop an innovative and delicious starter and main course using turkey. Entries were received from all across the UK with just 12 shortlisted to take part in the cook off, which was held at University College Birmingham.
The judging panel for the cook off included: Clay Burrows from Aviagen Turkeys Ltd, sponsors of the competition, James Dugan, Executive Chef at The Sheraton Park Lane, Tony Robertson, Consultant Chef, David Neilson, General Manager at Faccenda Foods Ltd, Paul Kelly, Kelly Turkeys and Sheila Eggleston of Cost Sector Catering magazine.
In addition to work experience at The Sheraton Park Lane in the run up to the British Poultry Awards, the winners receive £300 of catering vouchers for themselves and £500 vouchers for their colleges.
Sheila Eggleston of Stockpot and Cost Sector Catering said: “The entries this year were certainly very innovative and the standard was very high. This competition has been running for 8 years now and each year the dishes get better and better”.
The winner will receive their trophy at the British Poultry Industry Awards which takes place on Thursday 20th September at The Sheraton Park Lane.
The finalists in full:
British Poultry Student Chef Finalists 2018 sponsored by Aviagen Turkeys Ltd
- Ravioli of Turkey, Sage & Wild Mushroom, Crispy Smoked Pancetta, Wilted Chard and Turkey Consommé – Salima Amaourat – New City College Hackney
- Trio of Turkey – Dean Burnham – North Warwickshire and Hinckley College
- Turkey Gyoza, Steamed Flower Dumpling, Spiced Sesame Bon Bon, Burmese Tomato Relish – Dee Hoti – New City College Hackney
- Spiced Turkey Consommé with a Poached Quail Egg, Cantonese Style Turkey, Turkey Faggot and Crispy Rice Noodles – Conner Hardy – Boston College
- Turkey and Parfait Terrine, Braised Chicory, Candied Walnuts, Apple Puree, Orange Segments, Jasmine Tea, Raisins and Reduction – Callum Wood – North Warwickshire and Hinckley College
- Turkey Pastilla – Moroccan Inspired Filo Pie, Filled with Braised Spiced Turkey Thigh, a Moroccan Spiced Egg Mixture, Toasted Almonds, finished with a dusting of icing sugar – Kieran Pigott – University of West London
- A Starter of Turkey and Mango – Catherine Worley – North Hertfordshire College
- Shredded Turkey Breast with Spices Served with a Parsley and Bulgar Wheat Tabbouleh – Bayan Zuraiki – University of West London
- Turkey, Butternut & Spinach Pithivier, Ballotine of Turkey Leg & Wild Mushroom Mousse, Red Onion Puree & Roast Turkey Jus – Salima Amaourat – New City College Hackney.
- Sticky Asian Glazed Turkey Breast on Coconut and Coriander Rice with Crisp Kale Seaweed, Mango and Avocado Salsa and Garnished with Crispy Shredded Turkey Thigh – Beth Grimshaw – North Hertfordshire College
- Tandoori-Spiced Breast of Turkey, Golden Raisin Puree, Tart Fine of Vegetables, Croquettes, Tandoori Yoghurt, Lightly Spiced Jus – Dee Hoti – New City College Hackney
- Turkey Breast and Chorizo Roulade and Turkey Leg Croquette; Served with a Squash Puree and Port Reduction – Harry Lintott – North Hertfordshire College
- Tandoori Turkey, Bombay Potato, Spiced Cauliflower Puree, Onion Bhaji, Coriander Oil, Puffed Rice and Plum Chutney – Chloe Lloyd-Hughes – North Warwickshire and Hinckley College
- Turkey Breast with Fig and Port Served with Arancini, Squash, Basil and Jus – Kieran Piggot – University of West London
- Turkey Escalope’s with Jasmine Tea Soaked Golden Sultanas, Turkey Scotch Egg, Beetroot and Caper Chutney, Buttered Spinach and Pan Juices – Abi Sadler – North Hertfordshire College
- Turkey Breast with Wild Thai Black Rice, Coconut Milk Sauce and Roasted Carrots – Bayan Zuraiki – University of West London
– Ends –
For further information contact Jane Saward / Joe Isted at FML Public Relations
Tel: 01273 834716, Email: email@example.com